SEATTLE – Drivers traveling through Seattle on State Route 99 can expect a series of daytime and nighttime lane and ramp closures over the next two weeks. The closures provide a safe work zone for WSDOT contractor crews installing traffic gates and supporting equipment for a new SR 99 Alaskan Way Viaduct automated closure system.
· Thursday, Dec. 9 - The Bell Street/Western Avenue on-ramp to the northbound SR 99 Battery Street Tunnel will be closed from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Drivers will be detoured to Western Avenue. The closest northbound SR 99 on-ramp is located at the intersection of Denny Way and Aurora Avenue N.
· Monday, Dec.13 - the morning of Thursday, Dec. 16 - The Columbia Street on-ramp to southbound SR 99 will be closed from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly. The closest southbound SR 99 on-ramp is located at Elliott Avenue in Belltown.
· Wednesday, Dec. 15 - The northbound SR 99 off-ramp to East Marginal Way S. will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Drivers will be detoured onto First Avenue S. Freight haulers will be detoured onto East Marginal Way S. near the First Avenue S. Bridge.
· Monday, Dec.13 - the morning of Friday, Dec. 17 - The right lane of southbound SR 99 at John Street will be closed from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. each night.
· Wednesday, Dec. 15 – The right lane of northbound SR 99 at S. Lander Street will be closed from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
WSDOT began work to install an automated viaduct closure system in September 2010. The new system consists of nine traffic gates placed at or near on-ramps to the Alaskan Way Viaduct and controlled by an earthquake detection system. It is designed to safely close the viaduct within two minutes of detecting a significant earthquake – one strong enough to weaken the viaduct. Crews expect to complete the project in early 2011.
The system will be in operation until the viaduct is replaced. Learn more about the project: www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR99/ViaductClosureSystem
For more information on the Alaskan Way Viaduct and Seawall Replacement Program, visit www.alaskanwayviaduct.org.