Lake Stevens JournalLake Stevens Journal

Alleged death threats made against local Senator

Bookmark and Share
Published on Mon, Nov 23, 2009 by BY PAM STEVENS | EDITOR

Read More Local News

Senator Steve Hobbs, Lake Stevens, received harrasing phone calls and death threats towards him and his family.
Allegedly these threats came from his ex brother-in-law.

After months of alleged death threats, Moses Mark-John McBride, 37, ex brother-in-law of State Senator Steve Hobbs of Lake Stevens, was arrested on Friday, Nov. 13 at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, after being accused of threatening to kill the Senator.

McBride, who was once married to Michiko McBride, past Lake Stevens City Council candidate and sister to the Senator, had allegedly been making threatening phone calls to the Senator and sending over a dozen postcards.
“This has been going on for more than a year,” Lake Stevens Police Detective Jeff Lambier said.
The threats consisted of spreading rumors about Hobbs and shooting him if he didn’t help McBride restore his expired passport, court documents said.

McBride had been charged in October with multiple counts of Telephonic Harassment and Intimidating a Public Servant, and was believed to be living in the Republic of Vietnam with an expired passport.

McBride, who is a U.S. citizen, applied for assistance from the U.S. State Department, declaring that he was destitute and needed assistance in returning to the U.S. from Vietnam, he was issued a temporary U.S. Passport and provided a plane ticket to the U.S., which brought him to Seattle where he was arrested.

“We’ve known the entire time that he was in Vietnam. At the time he went over there he was not looking at criminal prosecution. Once we had a criminal case against him, we had him flagged through ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement), which means that the minute he purchased a ticket to the U.S. we would know about it,” Lambier said.

After McBride cleared U.S. Customs, he was turned over to Lake Stevens Police Detectives who placed him under arrest for the outstanding Felony Warrant. McBride was cooperative and after being interviewed by detectives, was transported to the Snohomish County Jail in Everett where he was booked.

On Monday, Nov. 16, McBride pled not guilty to the charges and the judge ordered him held on $200,000 bail.
“This has been a traumatic experience for my entire family and we are hopeful that this situation is over,” Hobbs said. “While we still face a trial and the unknown of the future, your comments, concern and prayers have given my family strength.”

The threats started in July and throughout the past several months, Hobbs has become more sympathetic to victims of domestic abuse.

“After facing this ordeal, I better understand the plight of domestic violence victims across our state, who face dangerous situations on a daily basis,” he said. “I can empathize with the helplessness domestic violence victims feel and I am more resolved than ever to work to address domestic violence concerns and to help the innocents affected by this crime statewide. Our community can reduce domestic violence by immediately reporting suspected abuse. Turning a blind eye gives power to the abuser an continues the circle of violence.”

Because of the cooperation of several agencies, the investigation came to a safe end for Hobbs and his family.
“On behalf of my family and I, I’d like to thank Snohomish County Prosecutor Janice Ellis, and prosecuting attorneys Mark Roe and Jarett Goodkin.  I’d especially like to thank Police Chief Randy Celori, Detective Lambier, Sgt. Valvick and the rest of the dedicated Lake Stevens Police force for their professionalism and excellent work in this matter,” Hobbs said.
[Post to Twitter]