The home of Shawna Baugher and her 13-year-old son was lost in a fire.
The week of March 19 was a busy one for Lake Stevens Fire. Four house fires were reported that week including two dryer fires, a fire that started from a wood-burning stove and a fire that destroyed a home and took almost everything from a single mom and her 13-year-old son.
The first dryer fire occurred on 101st NE, just north of Norm’s Market, which received approximately $20,000 in damages. The other took place in The Reserve community on 124th Court NE. That fire incurred around $5,000 in damages according to Lake Stevens Fire Marshal Robert Marshall.
The fire caused by a wood-burning stove was on 89th and 8th St. SE and received over $50,000 worth of damage.
The worst fire by far, was on 17th St. SE just off of 91st Ave.
The home burst into flames around 1 a.m. The fire most likely started in the attic.
“After talking to the homeowner and witnesses, it all points to the area that was the attic,” Marshall said. “It was probably electrical in the attic.”
The family’s cat was sleeping with homeowner Shawna Baugher. The cat started getting anxious and woke her up.
“I know that the cat actually woke her up and started to whine,” Marshall said.
The damage is estimated at approximately $200,000, which includes the complete loss of her car.
Baugher, a manager at the QFC in Mill Creek, is currently looking for a place for her and her son to stay until their home can be rebuilt.
They have basically lost everything and have minimal insurance.
“They were able to retrieve some heirloom items, which meant a lot to the family,” Marshall said.
A fund has been set up at Chase Bank in Lake Stevens. If you would like to contribute to the fund, which will be used to repurchase items lost in the fire, visit Chase Bank and ask to donate funds to the Lake Stevens House Fire Fund.