House fire on 11300 block of 21st Place NE
Published on Tue, Jun 12, 2012 by JOURNAL STAFF
Read More Local News
At approximately 12:40 am on Wednesday, June 6, Lake Stevens Fire responded to a house on fire in the 11300 block of 21st Place NE in Lake Stevens.
On arrival the crews encountered fire in the second story of the house extending through the attic and roof. Two children were asleep in a room next to one destroyed by fire.
The homeowner smelled smoke and got everyone out without injury. With assistance from Marysville Fire and Getchell Fire, the blaze was quickly brought under control in less than 20 minutes.
The Fire Marshal’s Office determined the cause of the fire to be a fireplace ventilation pipe. There was only one working smoke detector in the house.
Lake Stevens Fire recommends a smoke detector in every bedroom in the house, as well as on hallway ceilings outside of sleeping areas.
Battalion Chief Putnam commented, “If the home owner hadn’t smelled smoke and got the children out of the house, this could have had tragic results.” The Fire Marshal estimated damages at $50,000.
Copyright © 2009 Lake Stevens Journal, published by The Lake Stevens Journal., Lake Stevens, Washington