The Snohomish County Chapter of the American Red Cross has been awarded a $26,500 grant to extend/expand its Service to Military Families through May 2010.
A primary component of the grant allows the Red Cross to supplement its already active support of Naval Station Everett’s Operation Prepare program for military families who prepare a personal disaster plan and receive a family Disaster Kit in return.
Some items included in the grant are support for:
- First Aid and CPR scholarships
- 175 additional family disaster kits
- 250 international phone calling cards for deployed service members (each is a 300-minute card)
- Service to Armed Forces (SAF) volunteer training
- Brochures (disaster preparedness, pandemic, deployment-related info, etc.)
- Hosting of family networking groups, deployments, and other family-oriented gatherings
“We have long held a strong relationship with Naval Station Everett,” according to Red Cross Director Chuck Morrison. “Though the efforts of our SAF Director, Beverly Walker, and our donors throughout the community, we are able to strengthen our training, outreach, and education to military families.
Military family support grants are offered by the Department of Defense.
For more information on the grant contact Bev Walker, director of Service to the Armed Forces, (425) 304-4476, firstname.lastname@example.org.