Lake Stevens Journal - Your hometown newspaper since 1960

 

House fire destroys home in Lake Stevens

 

June 9, 2011



On Friday, June 3 at 6:50 a.m ., firefighters were called to a house fire at 113th block of 37th St. SE in the Georgetown Estates subdivision.

A 13-year-old boy who lives in the home, was getting ready for school when he heard the home’s smoke detectors.

“He was getting ready for school. His dad had left a bit before to drop off the older son at Lake Stevens High School, “ Lake Stevens Fire Marshal Robert Marshall said. “He always calls the 13-year-old to make sure everything is ok. Three seconds prior to dad calling smoke alarms went off.”

The boy had gone downstairs to check the house and noticed fire coming out of a pantry underneath the stairs.

“His dad told him to get out of house and call 911,” Marshall said. He went upstairs and got his dog and exited through the rear of the home. He heard the smoke alarms and exited out – he did exactly what he was supposed to do.”

Lake Stevens Fire along with firefighters from Fire District 4 responded to the call.

“When we got there the lower level was fully engulfed,” Marshall explained. “The Incident Commander made a walk around and fire was coming out of the back of the house. Unfortunately the home had an open stairwell, which acted like a chimney. ItThe fire also took the second floor.”

The home was a complete loss with over $350,000 in damages. The garage was fully in tact.

No one was injured in the fire, however, the family did lose a rabbit and a guinea pig.

 

Reader Comments

(0)