November 13, 2012 |

Sno-Isle and Lake Stevens Library celebrate 50 years

Back in 1957 several folks within the Lake Stevens community knew that the town needed some sort of library. So they got to work and came up with ideas of how to incorporate a library system in town.

Photo By Pam Stevens

The Lake Stevens Ladies Guild soon established a small library in the community hall.

From there the library grew, moved several times and landed in its current location in the mid-1980s.

“The Lake Stevens Library moved into its new and current location on June 19, 1985. The building was remodeled for an estimated cost of $80,000. The 2,400 square foot structure is more than triple the size of the former building,” Ann Hoffman wrote in a library history.

Since that time the Lake Stevens Library has seen many changes including becoming a part of the Sno-Isle Library system 50 years ago.

On Saturday, Nov. 10, the Lake Stevens Library celebrated its golden anniversary with goodies and the filling of a time capsule.

Folks were able to walk around the library and view articles, scrapbooks and photos showing the history of the library.

The time capsule is a small wooden chest that will be collecting items throughout the remainder of the year. Library staff is still looking for ideas to put in the capsule, which will sit on a library shelf and be opened in 2022.

The time capsule will be closed the first week of January 2013.

To view a complete history of the Lake Stevens Library visit www.lakestevensjournal.com.

Reader Comments

(0)