Lake Stevens Journal - Your hometown newspaper since 1960

 

Freeze winter fires

 

January 7, 2013



Home fires are more prevalent in winter than in any other season. This is due to the increased amounts of family cooking, decorating, and harsh winter weather which all contribute to an increased risk of hazards.

Follow these safety tips from Granite Falls Fire to help you and your family put a freeze on fires this winter season:

• Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.

• Have your heating system tuned up each year.

• Choose holiday decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.

• Don’t try to thaw pipes or spigots with heat guns or blow torches. Heat can build up inside the walls and start a fire.

• Use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory.

• Keep lit candles away from anything that can burn and make sure they are in a sturdy, fireproof holder. Blow out candles when you leave a room.

• Make sure Christmas trees, real or artificial, are at least 3 feet from heat sources.

• Add water to real Christmas trees daily. Dispose of trees after Christmas or when dry. Dried out trees are fire dangers and should not be left in or near your house.

• Never use the stove, oven or BBQ as a source of heat. BBQs should never be used inside the home as it will cause carbon monoxide poisoning.

• If there is a power outage and you have a generator, never use the generator from inside your home.

• Make sure you have working smoke alarms in your home.

• Have a fire escape plan in place and make sure everyone in your home knows where your meeting place is outside of the house.

 

Reader Comments

(0)