Lake Stevens Journal - Your hometown newspaper since 1960

 

Celebrate safely this Fourth

 

July 2, 2013



Lake Stevens Fire reminds the community to celebrate the Fourth of July safely with their family and friends. All fireworks including those purchased at legal stands can be destructive or deadly if handled irresponsibly. Even the smallest of fireworks, such as sparklers, can reach 1200-1800 degrees Fahrenheit, hot enough to cause third degree burns.

In 2012, according to the Washington State Patrol, fireworks caused nearly a million dollars in property loss. In Snohomish County there were 14 fireworks-related fires and 37 fireworks-related injuries.

Lake Stevens Fire recommends these precautions:

•Do not allow children to light or handle fireworks.

• Light fireworks only on smooth, flat surfaces, and aim them away from spectators, buildings, dry leaves, and flammable materials.

• Do not try to relight fireworks that malfunction.

• Do not carry fireworks in your pocket or hold them close.

• Keep a bucket of water and/or a fire extinguisher on hand in case a firework malfunctions or needs to be cooled before disposal.

• Make sure pets are in a safe place.

The use of fireworks in Lake Stevens and unincorporated Snohomish County is permitted on July 4 from 9am to 11:59 p.m. only. Make note that most fireworks bought on the reservation are considered illegal and purchasing fireworks through the internet is illegal.

To dispose of any illegal fireworks, please deliver them to a firefighter at Fire Station 81 (12409 – 21st Street NE, L.S.) or Fire Station 82 (9811 Chapel Hill Road, L.S.) where they can be properly stored for collection and disposal.

Lake Stevens Fire does not endorse the use of consumer fireworks and instead encourages the public to enjoy displays of fireworks conducted by trained professionals. Have a happy and safe Fourth of July!

 

Reader Comments

(0)
 
 
 
Rendered 10/22/2014 07:25