Mt. Pilchuck elementary school one of five top teams in Sno-Isle
Five top-scoring teams will advance to the finals of the Sno-Isle Libraries Mega-Fun, Biblio-Trivia, Rockem Sockem Third-Grade Reading Challenge.
• The Reader Leaders from Mt. Pilchuck Elementary (Lake Stevens School District)
• The Brier Bobcats from Brier Elementary (Edmonds School District)
• The Wood Owl Readers from Discovery Elementary (Mukilteo School District)
• The Reading Rebels from Eagle Creek Elementary (Arlington School District)
• The Fantastics from Oak Harbor Elementary (Oak Harbor School District)
The Final Challenge, which will determine the champion team, will begin at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, March 26 at the Rosehill Community Center, 304 Lincoln Ave ., Mukilteo.
Community members are welcome to attend the finals and cheer on these third-grade readers as they show off their literacy skills and teamwork.
The top five reading teams emerged from competitions at 26 schools, with 889 participating students, in Snohomish and Island counties.
The Reading Challenge is a quiz bowl program that encourages children to enjoy reading while improving their literacy skills. Teams of five to nine readers answer questions based on the following six books selected by Sno-Isle Libraries staff:
1. “Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other
Scary Things” by Lenore Look
2. “Encyclopedia Brown: Boy Detective” (vol. 1) by
3. “The Great Cake Mystery” by Alexander
4. “The Lemonade War” by Jacqueline Davies
5. “Little Wolf’s Book of Badness” by Ian Whybrow
6. “The Magical Ms. Plum” by Bonny Becker
The Sno-Isle Libraries Mega-Fun, Biblio-Trivia, Rockem-Sockem Third-Grade Reading Challenge is funded by Sno-Isle Libraries Foundation with a grant from The Paul G. Allen Family Foundation.
Visit http://www.sno-isle.org/kids/challenge for more information.