The number of people listed as missing after the deadly March 22 Washington state mudslide has dropped from 17 to 15 on the latest list provided by the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office.
Officials said that 44-year-old Victor Ford and an unidentified 50- to 60-year-old man added to the list Thursday have been removed. Sheriff's office spokeswoman Shari Ireton said the unidentified man is the one already at the Snohomish County medical examiner's office.
She didn't say why Ford's name had been removed.
The medical examiner's office said the number of confirmed deaths stands at 30 as of Friday morning and that 28 have been identified.
Recovery crews continue to search for more bodies in the debris from the landslide that smothered the community of Oso. Elite search dog teams have arrived so there are now 20 dog teams working at the site.
The return of rain is a concern for searchers again heading into the weekend. About an inch of rain is forecast for the area, which could cause the North Fork of the Stillaguamish river to rise.
The rain and rising river complicate recovery work in the debris field and add to the flooding caused when the landslide partially blocked the river. Melting mountain snow from rising temperatures also may cause the river to rise.
Warmer, drier weather across Washington is expected for early next week.
Posted on April 4, 2014 at 7:29 AM
Updated today at 11:30 AM